Thursday 18 December 2014

Point of interest - folding cycle

Well, this part of my country is slightly deprived of bicyclists, and adds a folding one on that to make it rarer than the common house-sparrow (which is, by the way, I've heard, on its way to join endangered species - http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/features/science/041129rf).

My home is around six and a half km away from my bus-stop, and since I'm  too lazy to drive daily, hence an optimum solution had to be found. Something which doesn't involve shouting at my brother to get ready as fast as he could so that I don’t miss my bus – everyday. So I was gifted a folding bicycle and since last few weeks I've been riding it to my bus-stop before hopping inside it and then carrying it over to my office building from bus-stop; and repeating the routine in opposite direction in the evening. 

So, since the first day I've been subjected to an endless curious looks, questions, comments and often loud exclamations which range from serious inquisitive to serious funny, teaching me to think on my feet - or on my peddles in the meantime! Here's a list of what I've been subjected to:
  • Cost of cycle - the most frequent question. My answer varies depending upon the surroundings, time of day, sincerity and demeanor of inquirer, so far I've replied like:
    • Hain…..what? Old Faridabad, Singla Cycle Works  - especially when motor-cycle riders come from behind and ask it. Evening and dark  -  be cautious mate!
    • Humph humph humph – pretend to be tired  - but do it only when you are in a well populated area near to your bus-stop (…where your friends are waiting)
    • 3-4 hazzar – for kids and  8-9 hazaar if the person asking is an adult and actual price when somebody asks in English.
    • One of the them gave me a bright idea when he asked if it is for my site visit – I didn’t know what did it mean, but I said yes.
    • Next day – I gave this reply to a biker – that my company gave this for site-visit, but this biker was a endless, never to be tired kind of person. He asked my employer’s name – then replied himself – must be Delhi Metro (thanks to my reflective vest and helmet). He was not a person who can be defeated by silence so easily – he asked the department where I work (Engineering – he replied, again) and then asked me where was I posted…finally I had to reply with a story on how fit does it feel after cycling daily.
  • Shabaash / Aur Tez / Dhoom Macha le..and likes - the most "funny" one was "Yo Yo Honey Seeenng" - what? Yes - what is common in a cycle or a cyclist and Yo Yo? And "Harry Potter" - dafaq?
  • Is it broken -or- how did it break in two parts – wow, this was asked by somebody from Information-technology industry. 
  • Mileage...yes mileage. OK, the lady wanted to actually ask how fast can I go on this, but I have chosen to print the first question she asked.
  • Police inquiry - subjected to not so grueling questioning from U.P. Police and Delhi Traffic Police. A demo was requested - I would have happily obliged if I was not getting late. The award for best police question goes to U.P. Police for "Kya is se pet ghat jata hai?" - which roughly translates to "Does it reduces belly-fat?".
  • Kahan se lee - OK, I'm happy to be a brand ambassador for Singla Cycle Works of Old Faridbad in replying this one. 
  • "Aa rahe ho kee jaa rahe ho"  - are you going or are you coming. The gem of a question, but I didn't reply and pretended like my phone was ringing!
  • Where do you live? Where do you work? I do remember the advice given to me when I was a kid that never reveal your address to strangers.
  • "Chalo race lagayaee" - let's have a race...sometimes they race even without uttering these words, and I must say that most of these guys are fitter than I could ever be in my life.
  • Are you a "champion"..what - I mean is there any "championship" going around where you participate. Yes, the question is unquestioningly absurd, but the fact that a lady is considering you a "champion" is not very unflattering.


  • MTF – more to follow!


No comments:

Post a Comment